Cocoon -- a utopia in the sky. Its inhabitants believed their world a paradise. Under the Sanctum's rule, Cocoon had long known peace and prosperity. Mankind was blessed by its protectors, the benevolent fal'Cie, and believed that tranquil days would continue forever. Their tranquillity was shattered with the discovery of one hostile fal'Cie.
The moment that fal'Cie from Pulse - the feared and detested lowerworld - awoke from its slumber, peace on Cocoon came to an end. Fal'Cie curse humans, turning them into magic-wielding servants. They become l'Cie - chosen of the fal'Cie. Those branded with the mark of a l'Cie carry the burden of either fulfilling their Focus or facing a fate harsher than death itself. A prayer for redemption.
A wish to protect the world. A promise to challenge destiny. After thirteen days of fates intertwined, the battle begins...
Set several years after Lightning and the others saved Cocoon, some survivors have decided to start over by rebuilding on Gran Pulse. Lightning, however, is nowhere to be found and thought dead by many, but Serah believes otherwise. When her town is suddenly overrun by monsters, a mysterious man named Noel appears to save her. Together, the two set off to find Lightning...
- A new tale awaits: Final Fantasy XIII-2 will reveal further world-changing events from the amazing mythology as presented in the original Final Fantasy XIII, now featuring both familiar faces and new characters. The story of Final Fantasy XIII-2 is written in a way that can still be enjoyed without knowledge of the previous title, while series fans will find plenty of interesting references to the original story too.
- Larger, more interactive environments: Places with multiple pathways to explore, and many secrets to find, offer players the chance to shape the adventure their way - giving more variety, choice, and control over the experience.
- Time travel - a new dimension of exploration: A new gameplay system called the Historia Crux, encourages players to experience choice and freedom in a way unlike any other Final Fantasy game. The situation, scenery, flora, fauna and weather conditions all change depending on when you visit that location. Some information and items can only be obtained in certain combinations of time and place. Untangling the threads of time is essential in witnessing the full story!
- Enhanced Battle System: The acclaimed battle system known of Final Fantasy has been developed to offer even greater quality. Additional choice and variety are available through new elements such as visually dynamic Cinematic Action sequences, and an innovative battle clock that will either reward or punish players depending on their actions and choices.
- Master of monsters: A wide variety of over 150 different monsters inhabiting the game world can be recruited into the player's party and battle strategy, with each creature having unique and devastating special abilities!